This is a blog by the students at the S P Jain Center of Management, Dubai, Singapore. The site is designed to play a common ground for the students and alumni of SPJCM to blog about their lives at the campus, industry exposure, events, current happenings, and everything else. The views expressed are solely those of the author(s) and do not reflect the views of S P Jain Center of Management. For more information on S P Jain Center of Management and the courses offered, visit the official SPJCM website

The power of brand!

Monday, July 27, 2009

brand

I would like to share with you all a recent experience and relate it to what we have learnt about branding and/or will be learning about branding. Around one week back my mobile phone broke down, I tried getting it repaired but the repairing cost was too high as compared to India, so I decided to rather buy a rather basic model for the time being and get my phone repaired once I get back to India.

So as a typical Indian consumer I enquired about price on a number of shops and thus finally find a shop close to our hostel. The shopkeeper was an old man, gave me quite a few options ranging from 60 dollars to 600 dollars, but as usual I was broke and had very little money! So I told him to narrow down the range to minimum, which is $ 60.

He finally displayed two models, one was a Nokia and other one was an LG, LG one was a nice phone with color display, and came with a 1 year warranty. Nokia model was one with a black and white display and also did not have a warranty. Now see the power of branding, the LG phone was a clear winner I terms of features, value for money and every other tangible aspect including the asthetics. I ended up buying the Nokia one. Why?

On my way back I was thinking about how what is the power of a brand, and how much a company can leverage on to it. It was sheer power of the brand Nokia which made me buy an inferior phone in terms of features but still some where I knew that in terms of quality, the phone I have bought is a better phone. Well, who knows!

I urge all the readers to share their experiences regarding various brands they buy and what drives them to give into these brands.

Madhur Dhawan
SMM- Decmber 2008

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP